Tuesday 31 March 2015

How street graffiti art saved me

I was going through a real rough time nearing the end of 2012. I was in my first year of college. I was in programming back then. My dad died, I wasn’t used to the teachers not caring at all, and most important of all the world was going to end according to the Mayans.
I was so stressed but I got along day to day. I basically cut all ties with my friends and talked to nobody in my classes. The only way I could express myself was those empty codes I typed into my laptop.
System.out.println(“hello world”);
Until one day I decided, I wanted to get myself on this planet. So I started making street graffiti art. It relieved a lot of my stress as I emptied those cans of spray paint. I made many works but they all sucked. That didn’t matter though. All that mattered was that I finally felt one with the earth.

(TheUpstairsRoom, 2004)
Of course the world didn’t end in hindsight, that’s how street graffiti art saved me.


How has graffiti helped you in any way?

No comments:

Post a Comment